Saturday, November 18, 2006

Adventures In Dating...

I recently discontinued dating someone...well, really they discontinued dating me. It's a shame really, I was just getting into the whole thing. And as much as this person will deny it, he was really into me one day and then over it the next. Crazy and pretty crappy towards me. When life hands you lemons you make lemonade right? If you're a writer, specifically a songwriter like me, people expect you to write a song about it. This has been said to me on more than one occasion,

"That sucks Molly. I'm sorry. Go write a song about it."

Really...people say that. And of course I usually end up writing a song about it....whatever "it" may be at the time, but I hate being told what to do. I'm sure, in fact I know, that I have many words for my current situation, but a songwriter I admire has actually put my current feelings into much better words than I think I can muster right now. I know what you're thinking....I don't want to read song lyrics Molly. My cubicle is much more exciting. No it's not. Read 'em and weep:

(make sure to pay special attention to the 2nd verse and pre-chorus...I'll put them in bold for those of you who have no idea what that means...)

Head under water and they tell me to breathe easy for awhile
But breathing gets harder even I know that

You made room for me but it’s too soon to see if I’m happy in your hands
I’m unusually hard to hold onto

Blank stares at blank pages
No easy way to say this
You mean well, but you make this hard on me

I’m not gonna write you a love song
Cause you asked for it
Cause you need one you see
I’m not gonna write you a love song
Cause you tell me its make or break in this if you’re on your way
I’m not gonna write you stay
If all you have is leavin’ I’m (gonn)a need a better reason to write you a love song today.

I learned the hard way that they all say things you want to hear
My heavy heart sinks deep down under you
And your twisted words your help just hurts
You are not what I thought you were
Hello to high and dry

Convinced me to please you
Made me think that I need this too
I’m trying to let you hear me as I am

I’m not gonna write you a love song
Cause you asked for it
Cause you need one you see
I’m not gonna write you a love song
Cause you tell me its make or break in this if you’re on your way
I’m not gonna write you stay
If all you have is leavin’ I’m (gonn)a need a better reason to write you a love song today.

Promise me you’ll leave the light on
To help me see. Daylight my guide gone…
Cause I believe there’s way you can love me because I say…

I won’t write you a love song
Cause you asked for it
Cause you need one you see
I’m not gonna write you a love song
Cause you tell me its make or break in this
Is that why you wanted a love song
Cause you asked for it
Cause you need one you see
I’m not gonna write you a love song
Cause you tell me it’s make or break in this if you’re on your way
I’m not gonna write you to stay
I f your heart is nowhere in it I don’t want it for minute
Babe, I’d walk the seven seas when I believe that there’s a reason to write you a love song today…


Glad you made it through. The song is called "Love Song" by Sara Bareilles. I think her album comes out next year...you can hear it on her myspace page:
Love Song by Sara Bareilles

One last note: saying "I don't see a future" is a moot point. The future hasn't happened yet. Of course you can't see it. You could die in the next five minutes. Nobody knows. As we say in improv, "we don't know where we're going, we only know where we've been." Excuses...always has been one and always will be.

P.S. It feels really good to know I have made wonderful friends after only two months in Chicago. After this incident in dating, they all separately offered to either kick his ass or bust his knee caps. I wish no ill will on this man, in fact I would like to keep around as a friend for awhile. Not to say after a few beers I didn't seriously consider one or more of these offers. I'm just too "nice" for violence.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Molly - nice blog! My roommate and I have one too. I agree with you on the whole not being able to see the future thing - although once I had someone pre-emptively end a potential relationship because they felt we would date, fall in love, break up and then not be able to be friends anymore ... umm? I just wanted to go out to dinner. Crazy!