Monday, February 05, 2007

Like, Ohmigod Guys...

I'm supposed to be working on an essay for an internship I'm applying for. I'm supposed to be finding a quote to start it off with, making up some crap about movies, send it to my mom so she can proofread it, finish my resume and mail it off. I am actually having a hard time doing this. I am actually really full from lunch and don't know why because I didn't eat that much. Perhaps I need some water.

I got to thinking this weekend which is never a good thing. Well...I was about to type something about how thinking is actually a good thing, but for me I don't think it is. This group of thirteen year-old girls came into my work this weekend. They were loud and extremely obnoxious. Their conversations went something like this:

13yr old girl #1: Ohmigod, Nathan iiiisss going to ask you out at the party. He told me.
13yr old girl #2: Ooohh...It's almost Valentines Day.
13yr old girl #3: OH migod, do you even want a boy on Valentine's Day?
13yr old girl #1: It can be so much fun to have a boy on Valentine's Day.
13yr old girl #3: Oh it sssoooo can be. So what are you going to say to him?
13yr old girl #2: Yes. Duhhh....Jesus, where is my mocha?

From this one little conversation my head went in about fifty different directions. I either had consumed way too much coffee or really needed a nap.

First I started thinking, "Was I like that in 8th grade?"
Answer: Yes. I think so. By that I mean, I did have a tendency to get loud in public. However, I was not ever the girl getting asked out by the boy except for the time Jason Riley followed me to my locker after class. When I said no, he asked why and I said it was because he was, "blech." As in...gross. Mainly because I thought of him as a friend. He thought I said no because he was "black," which he was. Talk about awkward...

Second I began thinking, "If I was thirteen and someone told me my "#1 crush" and I were not meant to be together forever and that in fact I did not know how to go about a "real relationship" at 13 anyway, would I have listened?"
Answer: No. I would have screamed and cried telling that person they were, "so wrong" and that I was "different and mature for my age, duh." It would probably be similar to the time my parents wouldn't let me ride in the car with my friends older brother who had just received his license. They claimed he might be a reckless driver and that we could get in an accident. I screamed, and this is a direct quote, "Well, if I get in an accident and die at least I know it would've been my fault." I really thought that would change their mind. I think they made me leave the room so they could laugh.

Third I began thinking, "Did I know what a mocha was at 13?"
Answer: Nope. Didn't have a Starbucks in Rowlett. Actually, we didn't have anything remotely close. No coffee shops whatsoever. I think there was a bakery on Main Street. How cute...a bakery on Main Street.

Fourth I began to wonder about the elderly people who come into my store. Not sure why... Most of them come in pretty regularly, and some I haven't seen in awhile. I always wonder when an elderly patron suddenly quits coming if maybe they didn't pass away. That thought always makes me sad.

Somewhere along the lines of the "Nathan" conversation I realized that boys never really get less complicated with age. I always thought they would.

There is one thing that has become less complicated: Me.

I'm sssoooo kidding right now.

No comments: